Deal with it

There are always days when I believe that I am doing well until the avalanche is actually over my head.  Generally my theme is something like “Just keep swimming….” because there is not much else we can do, right?  But, on rare occasions things get out of hand long before I notice and my ability to just keep on keeping on is diminished.

Today was one of the surprise attack days.  I woke up and got ready for work.  I checked my phone.  Already, a mountain of emails had come in.  Multiple people needing multiple things.  The one that jumped out to me was the person who had ordered flocking, but had said to do it the 8th.  I should have checked when they sent the original order, but assumed they knew how it worked.    Instead, she really wanted me to flock on the 7th so her victim would wake up to it on the 8th.  I called her to tell her I’d misunderstood.  She was nice and said that her victim was gone for a bit and I could do it right then if I hurried.  I woke up my oldest and made him  help me load the requested number of flamingos in the car.  Then, I tried to start the car.  It wouldn’t start.  So, I loaded the flamingos into the other car, and we were off.  Mission accomplished.  All is well that ends well, right?

I got to work and put out a few ‘fires’.  Things were moving quickly and working well.  I was busy, but happy to have work and to be keeping things going.  I was on track for leaving at 5 and getting everyone where they needed to go…

Then reality hit.  Someone was leaving so I needed to work small miracles to make sure their work got out of the building two days early.  Someone else decided that they were going to need their stuff a day or two early too.  It was amazing.  Once the emergencies started piling up I realized that getting anyone anywhere in the evening was just not going to work.

I called and got rides for all three kids (thank you to my MIL and to our friends who were willing and able to help!).   I managed to get out of the office just after the time that everyone needed to be in their respective locations.  The good news is I caught my youngest’s final baseball game of the season (thanks for the late start Murphy!).   Then I ran home to get my daughter and see my mom.  Finally, at 10pm I was finally home and ready for dinner.

Days like that are not that often.  But, when they happen I love to just take a few minutes and complain.  But, today my husband had a horrible day too.  So, I had to suck it up and just be a grown up.   There’s something that makes me feel even more old than usual when I have to be gracious about my crappy days because someone else’s day was even more crappy.

The worst part is I kept thinking I needed to text my very best friend to tell her happy birthday, but I kept having things interrupt me.  So, it was late in the day when I even got the chance.  I dislike being that busy.  I think I shall write a letter…surely there is someone somewhere who cares!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s