Each human on this planet is born with talents that are uniquely theirs. That’s not to say others don’t also possess the same talent. But, more to say that each of us has our own “talent grouping”. While many people may be good at something – not everyone has the exact same talents.
I fully believe that we are each created to do something special. The ‘special’ doesn’t really have to be something that everyone you meet sees as special. But, my thoughts are – God has put us all together to do something specific for His kingdom (even those who don’t know they are doing it for His kingdom are contributing and that thought makes me smile a bit). Someone may be put here to run the government of their country. Someone else may have been put here to sing. And, yet another someone may have been put here to write a book. Any and all of those are talents.
But, there are lots of talents that we overlook on a daily basis and people never really get credit for excelling at them. Today I read a blog about running the race God has set before us. And, not only using our talents, but also recognizing them. It really struck me. And, the interesting thing is that this isn’t the first time it’s come up recently. I’ve had a few discussions with the kids over people’s talents and what it means to have a talent. I’ve challenged them to make a game of noticing their classmates or teammates talents and seeing what they can find out about those around them. I’ve also taken a few personality tests for work and other things that weigh in on this area too. So, the whole ‘realize your talent’ thing is just where I am right now.
A few talents I see daily that I’ve noticed and yet haven’t made a point to praise are:
- Friend of strangers Those people who walk up to random strangers and start conversations. They’ve never met a true stranger, and they think nothing of making new friends any place and any time. They start conversations with people in line in places like Target or the airport. How many people can truly do this without concern for feeling like they are being a weirdo? Not many. This is a SKILL and should be recognized as a talent. They never leave the new person to themselves and they are great at just making everyone feel like they are a part of whatever is going on.
- Sitting quietly while listening (TRULY LISTENING – not thinking about your to-do list while someone else talks) Kudos to you! I am not gifted in this area. I want to be multi tasking at all times. I am constantly impressed by those who have the ability to simply listen with interest.
- Go with the flow These people do not need to force their will or agenda on anyone. They are willing to help reach other people’s goals. They are agreeable and generally the center of every team because they can be depended on to help, but not to overrun.
- Being a friend The person who remembers to call you when your life is too busy to call them first. The girlfriend who notices you are a little down and drops you a note. The one who takes the time to memorize all your favs and all your dislikes just because it comes natural to them. These people are amazing. Everyone needs at least one in their life and I am so blessed to have many!!
- Cheerleaders Those who have no desire to rush out and change the world, but who willingly sit and cheer everyone else on. They are outstanding ‘words of encouragement’ people and truly desire to see everyone else succeed.
- Organizers Not just the people who keep things and events organized, but those who do it as a blessing to others. Those who see one of the go-getters going out to get things done and steps in behind the scenes to simply organize the charge. They don’t seek glory or praise. They’re gift is that they can do it without needing any of that. It’s just their natural talent.
- Nurtures Those who simply care. They share their heart with others because others NEED that. They aren’t afraid to give a little tough love, but they also take the time to share some sweet, kind, and squishy love too. They mentor others, they support dreams, and they think of ways for others to accomplish them.
- Decision Makers Believe it or not – not everyone is good at making decisions. We all like to pretend we are, but the truth is that most people only want to make decisions that specifically affect them – not everyone. Great job for sticking your neck out even when you know it won’t always be comfortable!
- Dreamers The people who take the time to sit in a field of flowers and just enjoy thinking and dreaming. They show us what it’s like to actually stop and smell the roses. They think of impossible things without fear. They don’t worry about how they will accomplish those things – they just enjoy thinking them. That is NOT me. I’m constantly impressed by people who dream well.
- Positive People Those people who only see the rain for a few seconds and then come away with a positive spin. They find the rainbow in every situation. Not everyone can do that. It’s inspiring!
There are so many more. But, what I have had pointed out to me many times recently is that we need to recognize these talents (and all the other non-recognized ones) and celebrate them. Let’s teach our kids and our friends that we KNOW they are special. We know we are unique and we are perfectly made. Keep up the great work of being YOU.